National Guernsey Youth
Contests, Scholarships & Recognition Programs
National AGA Quiz Bowl
The National AGA Quiz Bowl contest is open to AGA Junior Members and is held at the AGA National Convention each year. This fun and competetive contest tests the dairy industry and Guernsey knowledge of AGA youth. There are Senior and Junior divisions. Teams are generally organized on the state level.
Turley Youth Scholarship
The Turley Youth Scholarship was established in 2002 with funds and donations generated from the syndicated sale of the young bull Penny Lane Royal Oak Turley. The scholarship honors the contributions of Ralph and Martha Turley to Guernsey youth and the Guernsey breed. Any AGA Junior member that has exhibited in a National Junior Guernsey show within the past three years is eligible to apply. Turley Youth Scholarship Application
Max Dawdy Scholarship
The Max Dawdy Scholarship is awarded to one or more AGA Junior members each year at the National AGA Convention in June. The scholarship is in the amount of $750 and the initial endowment was provided by Western Guernsey Sires. Application Form Application Form in MS Word Format
National Outstanding Youth
The National Outstanding Youth Award is presented each year at the National Convention to a deserving Junior Member who has excelled in Guernsey activities as well as other aspects of their life
National Guernsey Queen Contest
The National Guernsey Queen and Princess represent the American Guernsey Association at various events throughout the year. They assist at the National Guernsey shows in the fall and act as ambassadors for the breed at other meetings and shows across the country.
Folding Display Contest
Put your creativity to work preparing a folding display that promotes Guernseys and the Dairy Industry! Participants need NOT be present to enter, the display may be shipped to the National Convention for judging. Application Form Application Form in MS Word Format
Youth Photo Contest
Enter your favorite pictures of your Guernseys. These pictures may just go on to grace the cover of the Guernsey Breeders' Journal. Application Form in MS Word Format
AGA Junior Membership
Junior Membership in the AGA is $10 and remains in effect until the Junior member's 21st birthday. At that time a lifetime membership may be purchased at the reduced rate of $75. Junior Members receive the same registration discounts as adult members. Junior membership is required for most youth contests and is also a requirement to lead an animal in a National Junior Guernsey Show.
Contact the AGA for a Junior Membership Application
AGA Youth Lease Program
The AGA Youth Lease Program was started to encourage participation in the National Junior Shows by youth who do not have the opportunity to purchase a project calf. It allows the owner to exhibit the animal in open classes and to be listed as the breeder of resulting calves when these animals are bred as yearlings.
While this lease is accepted by all four National Shows, you must check with your local and state show managements prior to a show to find out if they will accept this agreement.
National Junior Guernsey Shows
Four National Junior Shows (NJS) are held each year. They are held in Sacramento, California; Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Madison, Wisconsin and Louisville, Kentucky. The NJS-Louisville and NJS-Harrisburg are held on a separate day and with a different judge than the open show. The other two shows are judged together with the open classes.
The following guidelines apply to the National Junior Shows:
- Open to any AGA Junior Member who has not reached their 21st birthday by January 1st of the current year and are over the age of eight on that date. (Madison requires leadspersons to be at least nine years of age on the first day of Expo)
- The animal must be registered soley in the junior's name or must be recorded under an AGA lease agreement. More than one junior may be listed as the owner of an animal, however, no adults or farm names may be listed. - The animal must have been transferred, or the lease recorded, by July 1 of the year shown.
- Each Junior exhibitor is limited to one entry per class.
- Each exhibitor is required to wear an official NJS shirt, provided or sanctioned by the AGA, while exhibiting.
- The listed owner of the animal must lead the animal. If the owner is not present, an AGA Junior Member the same age or younger may lead the animal. A substitute leadsperson may only be used at a single show per year for each animal. No person older than the owner, other than show management, may lead the animal in the ring at any time.
- An individual may not show a leased and an owned animal at the same show.